This is a part-time (20 hour a week) position. Reports directly to the Senior Staff Attorney and in her absence to the Chief Executive Officer.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
• Act as in-house counsel for CASA of NH staff and volunteers, to be available to address legal questions and concerns as they arise.
• As needed provide initial and on-going in-service training for staff and volunteers in all CASA offices on the legal process in Abuse/Neglect (RSA 169-C), Termination of Parental Rights (RSA 170-C) and Mediated Adoption (RSA 170-B: 14) proceedings.
• Represent CASA-NH in court as needed, including filing motions and memos of law and addressing legal issues that arise in individual cases.
• Accompany CASA-GALs to court if there are significant legal questions to be addressed.
• Review and edit reports submitted to the Court by CASA-GALs in Termination of Parental Rights proceedings.
• Prepare CASA-GALs to testify as witnesses in Termination of Parental Rights proceedings and any other proceeding in which they are called as a witness.
• Cultivates new and maintains current relationships with law firms for pro-bono support. On occasion and when requested by the CEO, attends various committee/task-force meetings.
• Assist as needed the President/CEO with personnel and other management issues.