Since March of 2020, when reports of abuse and neglected plummeted by more than 50 percent at the outset of the state’s stay-at-home order, we’ve been bracing for the potential for a surge of new cases as children return to school and day care full time. Teachers and day care providers are among the most common reporters of suspected abuse and neglect, and with children out from under their watchful eye, we remain very concerned about abuse and neglect that may still be going unseen.
Volunteering Safely During the COVID Pandemic
CASA is making it easy to learn more about volunteering without leaving home through frequent virtual information sessions. After a potential volunteer applies, interviews and training are conducted virtually as well. Volunteers on active cases are finding creative ways to continue to interact and advocate for their CASA child without sacrificing safety. For example, Vickie Plourde, a CASA from Coos County since 2019, had served on her case for almost a year when COVID struck. She pivoted to use Zoom to stay in touch. “I would always take books based on their individual interests, so I could do the same thing over Zoom,” Plourde said. “They were excited to get on Zoom and play. I had a 7-year-old down to a 1-year-old, so we had a wide range of activities. One of the kids loved playing with cars, so I spent a lot of time on the floor playing with cars, moving the camera as I rolled them around.”
Other Ways to Help
Becoming an advocate isn’t right for everyone, or maybe the interest is there but the time isn’t right. There are other ways to help:
- Interested in becoming an advocate in the future? Want to keep up-to-date with our latest news and events? Join our mailing lists and/or follow us on social media.
- Make a donation and help support the recruitment, training and supervision of our advocates who provide this vital advocacy.
- Add CASA to your company’s matching gift program.
- Get exposure for your company and support CASA’s work by sponsoring or hosting a fundraising event.
- We have greeting cards available for every occasion. These are unique to CASA, designed by local artists and can be customized. Learn more here.